An Account of an Experience with Discrimination
Sojourner was mistreated because, during the era of
slavery, African Americans were treated inhumane. Slave owners, or anybody for
that matter respected African Americans, and treated them cruelly. Since the
idea of slavery was so prominent, people treated slaves horrible; because that’s
the way they thought African Americans were supposed to be treated. Nobody knew
African Americans should be treated like humans, because they believed African
Americans were property.
Sojourner’s
document differs from a reporter because she lived the event. She remembers every
part that took place; she doesn’t need to interview anyone. Reporters have to
base their stories off the information they gather; in this case, Sojourner is
the key to the story. Diaries, letters, and journals are more efficient than
reports because the community will get to know the author better if it is wrote
and experienced by the author.
Here is New York
White wants to show the reader the uniqueness of New
York by contrasting it from other popular cities. People native to New York
appreciate the city, while travelers would look at the same city and name
numerous flaws. A traveler may think New York is overcrowded, depending on
where they are from. Some problems in NYC are: subways, schools, hospitals, and
playgrounds are overcrowded, the expressway is feverish, and there isn’t enough
air, light, and usually too much or too little heat. The city makes up for its
hazards by supplying citizens with massive doses of sense of
belonging to something unique, cosmopolitan, mighty, and unparallel.
White
says that neighborhoods within NY are like cities within a city. This could be true
because I also feel this way about Chicago. Neighborhoods in Chicago have their
own name, such as Fifth City, Englewood, Douglas Park, Greek town, Hollywood
Park, Homan Square, K-Town, and numerous others. These neighborhoods are very
different from one another, no matter if they’re all in the same city.
I enjoyed your response to "Here is New York". I like how you talked about the how the average New Yorker thinks there is nothing wrong with the city but when you're a traveler you find all of these flaws to characterize the city with. This reminds me of how my mom wasn't a fan of New York before we went again a couple years ago, even now she's not to fun of the city she says it's too dirty and crowded all the time. I also agree with your statement about how the author was comparing/contrasting the uniqueness of New York with other popular cities. I believe i mentioned that in my response post too. Lastly your comparison with New York and Chicago and how the neighborhoods are cities within cities is a good example. I like how you mentioned all of these different neighborhoods that are very different like Greek Town and Englewood.
ReplyDelete^_^ <3
I agree with you on the comment that you made about journals, letters, and diaries. They are more reliable sources than a reporter's article. I believe if you see the event through a person's eyes that was actually living it, the read is much better. The New York response was also interesting. Chicago's neighborhoods seem to be like small cities to me too. I don't know if anyone else thinks that but I do.
ReplyDeleteI love how you said that neighborhoods in Chicago have their own names. I also love how even though NY has its problems you used great vocabulary to show it makes up for it. For the story of An Account of an Experience with Discrimination I liked how you explained that a primary resource adds a lot more value to a paper than a secondary.
ReplyDelete