Friday, September 14, 2012

Community Posts


Book Club
Poms
Music

A community I belong to is Poms. I started Poms in 7th grade at Michael Faraday Elementary School; my first year on the team we came in 1st place for city. We practiced in the gym, or sometimes in a large empty classroom. We would perform at school events such as basketball games, and assemblies. Competitions were held at Westinghouse High School and Chicago State University. 

 To be a member of the Poms team, you have to not only know how to execute moves, you also have to be able to contribute to the team. This includes being positive and a leader. My team was the group of girls that also happened to be role models in the school. We all had an image to uphold. My last year on the team I was announced captain, so my role was a bit larger than the other girls. I missed practice once the whole season; I made sure my girls were always acting accordingly and were always in the best mood.

This is a comfortable community to me because it involves dancing, which I love to do and girls I've known for years that I bond with. We came together as a family and did what we loved. We had hard times but like a family we got through them together. There wasn't one girl that could say she didn't feel she was part of the team. In the end we made friendships that will never be broken no matter what our future may hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment